- MLA Landscape Architecture, College of Environmental Design, University of California at Berkeley, 1993
- BA Design of the Environment, College of Arts and Sciences, University of Pennsylvania, 1989
- Environmental Negotiation Workshop, Nelson Facilitation, Tiburon, CA, 2016
- Point Arena Mountain Beaver Workshop, US Fish & Wildlife Service, Point Arena, CA, 2010
- Planning in California: An Overview & Update, UC Davis Extension, Land Use Planning, Sacramento, CA, 2007-08
- Mitigation Measure Development & Monitoring, UC Davis Extension, Land Use Planning, Davis, CA, 2007
- CEQA: A Step-by-Step Approach, UC Davis Extension, Land Use Planning, Sacramento, CA, 2007, 2014
- Endangered Species Regulation & Protection, UC Davis Extension, Land Use Planning, Davis, CA, 2007
- Land Use, Real Estate & Environmental Law Update, Abbott & Kindermann, LLP, Sacramento, CA, 2007, 2010, 2015
- Introduction to Wetland Delineation, CA State Chico, Friends of the Biological Sciences Herbarium, Chico, CA, 2006
- Subdivision Map Act: Parts I & II, UC Davis Extension, Land Use Planning, Davis, CA, 2006
- 12 years manager for design and construction bookstore
- 8 years draftsperson and model maker for various design firms, including landscape architecture, interior design and lighting design
- 1 year project manager for civil and structural engineering firm
- 2 years performing garden installations
- 2 art exhibits
As a land use consultant and planner, I represent and aid landowners while navigating the planning permit process, primarily focusing on Development Permits in the Coastal Zone in Mendocino County. I am project manager for current and long-range projects including residential and commercial development, both large and small in scope. Not limited to only Coastal Development Permits, my projects also include multi-parcel subdivisions, use permits, rezoning, boundary line adjustments and community development projects. Residing in the Coastal Zone, one is required to have a strong understanding of environmental issues, especially as they relate to Local Coastal Programs and CEQA, with an ability for case making and creative mediation. I have an impressive track record of success and comfortable helping clients with tough projects. I have a clear understanding of the opportunities and constraints resulting from biological, geological, hydrological and archeological characteristics of the area. This enables me to foster projects towards the best resolution for my clients as well as the coast community.
|1990||Masters of Fine Art Program
California College of Arts and Crafts
Concentration in metals and jewelry
|1985||Bachelor of Fine Art
Saratoga Springs, New York
|2015/2, 2013/2||Land Use, Real Estate & Environmental Law Update, Abbott & Kindermann, LLP, Sacramento & Napa, CA|
Volunteer Activities – current
2006 – present
2012 – present
2010 – present
2012 – present
2001 – 2009
2004 – 2010
2003 – 2008
Mendocino Film Festival. Vice President, Director of Development, Mendocino, CA.
Cinema in the Vineyard. Coordinator, House manager, Philo, CA
Club Cardinal. Mendocino High School. President and Membership
College Counseling. Guidance counseling for college bound high school students
Caspar Creek Charter School. President, School Board Member. Caspar, CA.
Math Teacher. Caspar Creek Charter School. Caspar, CA.
Friends of the Mendocino Community Center. Mendocino, CA.
Mendocino Coast Fat Tire Festival 2011. Fort Bragg, CA.
|2009/08 – present||Land Use Consultant
Wynn Coastal Planning, current and future planning. Fort Bragg, CA
|2010/05 – present||Designer/ Owner
Mason Rose Home. Design and manufacturing of fine home décor materials, fabrics, and table linens.
|2012/03 – present||Partner
Mendocino Bike Sprite, LLC, hospitality for cyclists, guided mountain bike rides, service shop. Fort Bragg, CA
Caspar Creek Charter School, Writing and Adoption of Charter. Caspar, CA.
Caspar Creek Charter School, Expansion of school and facilities. Caspar, CA.
Mendocino Community Playground. Design and Installation
Redesign and renovation of Dining room and Bar area, Albion River Inn, Albion, CA
Masa’s Restaurant, Five star restaurant, San Francisco, CA
|2007– present||Designer/ Installer
Pop up Annual French Flea Market in October. Design, install and display merchandise, create inventory controls, train staff. Mendocino, CA
- 1972 –1974 Diablo Valley Jr. College – AA: General Education
- 1974 –1976 U.C. Berkeley/San Francisco State University – BA: History/Political Science
- 1976 – 1978 San Francisco State University – Master’s Program – Park Planning and Administration
- 1978 – 1980 U.C. Davis Extension – Professional Certificate in Environmental Planning
- County Planner (2010 – present): Trinity County
- Chief Planner and Zoning Administrator (2000 – 2010): Mendocino County
- Supervising Planner (1989 – 2000): Mendocino County
- Staff Planner (1981 – 1989): City of Santa Rosa and County of Mendocino
- Park Ranger (1976 – 1981): Marin Municipal Water District, California State Parks
(1970s to present): Work as private planning consultant for the development of several retreat centers and a private university. Also have been a community park manager, youth center director, crew leader / outdoor education instructor with Youth Conservation Corp, self-defense instructor for community recreation departments throughout the East Bay, Board Member for volunteer fire department.
Tara Jackson graduated from Humboldt State University with a Bachelor’s of Science in Environmental Science and Management: Planning and Policy. She has spent her life in rural communities, beginning with a small town in northeastern Colorado and then moving to northern California in 2008. Before and during her studies at Humboldt State University she worked at Black Oak Ranch in Laytonville, CA as a general laborer which included organic gardening and maintenance assistance for Camp Winnarainbow. In congruence to her academics at HSU she worked as an instructional student assistant for an Environmental Conflict Resolution course. In addition, she worked as a research assistant in which she helped identify indices to measure socio-economic impacts of Marine Protected Areas. Additionally, she worked at an intern for the City of Eureka’s planning department in which she reviewed historical development standards to help inform planners and community members about trends in the city’s zoning ordinance. She is passionate about facilitating responsible development initiatives that will provide continuous opportunities for livable and affordable rural communities.
- B.S., Environmental Science & Management: Planning and Policy, 2017, Humboldt State University, Arcata, CA.
- Internship, 2018. Eureka Development Service Department. Eureka, CA.
- Research Assistant, 2018. Humboldt State University. Arcata, CA.
- Instructional Student Assistant, 2016 – 2017. Humboldt State University. Arcata, CA.
- General Laborer, 2012 – 2017. Black Oak Ranch / Camp Winnarainbow. Mendocino County.
Biologist, GIS Analyst, Assistant Planner
Wyatt Dooley graduated from University of California Santa Barbara with a Bachelor’s of Science in Environmental Studies and a minor in Geology. After graduating, he worked for Fish and Wildlife and Pacific States Marine Fisheries as a technician researching salmon. He has also worked abroad in New Zealand as a conservation ranger helping on restoration projects and controlling invasive species. Additionally, he has received training in Army Corp wetland delineation by San Francisco State University and the Wetland Science and Coastal Training Program, training from CNPS-CDFW on vegetation rapid assessment and relevé methods, is on the US Fish and Wildlife Service’s approved list for Point Arena Mountain Beaver Surveys, and received a specialization in ArcGIS through University of California Davis.
B.S. Environmental Studies, 2014, University of California Santa Barbara
Minor B.S. Geology, 2014, University of California Santa Barbara
GIS Certificate, 2018, University of California Davis
Vegetation Rapid Assessment and Relevé, 2018, California Native Plant Society & California Fish & Wildlife
Army Corp of Engineers Wetland Delineation, 2018, San Francisco State University
Volunteer Conservation Ranger, Auckland, New Zealand
Fisheries Technician, Pacific States marine Fisheries Commission, Department of Fish and Wildlife, Fort Bragg, CA
Volunteer Salmonid Snorkel & Redd Surveys, Mendocino, CA
UCSB Restoration Projects, CCBER, Santa Barbara, CA
US Fish and Wildlife approved for Point Arena Mountain Beaver
Asa B Spade graduated from Humboldt State University with a Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Science, with a concentration in Landscape Ecosystems as well as a minor in Botany. Since that time he has been working in the natural resources field, first with Mendocino County Environmental Health and later with California State Parks and the Department of Fish and Game. He has been trained in Army Corps wetland delineation by the Coastal Training Program at Elkhorn Slough. He is on the Fish and Wildlife Service approved list for Point Arena mountain beaver surveys and has done surveys for Behren’s silverspot butterfly, Northern spotted owl, and the California red-legged frog. He has contributed to more than 75 coastal development projects in Mendocino County.
BS, Environmental Science: Technology – Landscape Ecosystems, Humboldt State University, December 2006
AA, Transfer Studies, Engineering, Shasta College, May 2002
Wetland Delineation Certification, Jurisdictional Delineation of Waters of the U.S., Including Wetlands on the California Coast, Elkhorn Slough Coastal Training Program, November 2008
Military Course Completions
- Submarine Warfare Qualification, July 2000
- Nuclear Propulsion Plant Operator Reactor, July 1999
- Naval Nuclear Power School, Enlisted, December 1998
- Nuclear Electronics Technician, Class A, May 1998
Environmental Scientist / Botanist / Owner, Spade Natural Resources Consulting, 2009 – Present, Fort Bragg, CA
Owl Biologist, Strix Wildlife Consulting, 2009 – Present, Fort Bragg, CA
Fisheries Technician, Pacific States Marine Fisheries Commission, Department of Fish and Game Field Office, Fort Bragg, CA
California Recreational Fisheries Survey (CRFS) Field Sampler, Pacific States Marine Fisheries Commission, Eureka, CA
Environmental Services Intern, California State Parks, Mendocino District, Russian Gulch State Park, Mendocino, CA
Environmental Health Technician, Mendocino County Environmental Health, Fort Bragg, CA
Redwood Trail Guide and Ecological Docent, Humboldt State University, Arcata, CA
Field and Laboratory Assistant, Eel Grass and Black Brant Project, Humboldt State University, Arcata, CA
Nuclear Electronics Technician, Reactor Operator, U.S. Navy, Bangor Naval Submarine Base, Silverdale, WA
- Computer Skills – Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MapPoint), Paint Shop Pro, ArcMAP
- I.S. – Mapping with ArcGIS & layer interpolation with Spatial Analyst
- Basic knowledge of NEPA, CEQA and other environmental laws and concepts
- Ability to use dichotomous keys for plant, animal and fungi identification (e.g. Jepson Manual)
- Ability to use GPS remote sensing equipment
- Ability to communicate and operate within government organizations
- Ability and love for working outdoors
- Knowledge of estuarine and coastal forest ecology
- Knowledge of Mendocino County endangered species of interest
- Trained by Ron LeValley to work with snow plover and to perform bird counts by ear
- Trained by Matt Coleman to perform snorkel surveys in Big River
- FWS approved for Point Arena Mountain Beaver surveys
- Experienced and trained to load/unload and drive ATVs
- Army Corps Wetland Delineation certified
- Trained in Red Legged frog survey technique
- Trained in Behren’s silver spot butterfly survey technique
- A.A. Social Science (2002): College of the Redwoods, Fort Bragg, CA
- Certificate of Attendance (July 2014) Pacific Energy Center, San Francisco, CA
- Energy Pro 6 Software for 2013 Title 24 Residential Compliance.
- AutoCAD Drafter | Wynn Coastal Planning, Fort Bragg, Ca | January 2014 – Current
- AutoCAD Drafter | I.l. Welty & Associates, Inc., Fort Bragg, Ca | February 2006 – Current
- Survey Techinician | Forrest Francis Land Surveyor, Fort Bragg, Ca | January 2012 – Current
- Autocad Drafter | Kpff Consulting Engineers, Fort Bragg, Ca | May 2003 – February 2006
- Customer Representative | Harvest Market, Fort Bragg, Ca | July 1997 – August 2002 & June 2010 – February 2011
- Notary Public of the State of California | August 2014 – Current